Open access principles
OtaNano’s access policy follows the guidelines set in ”European Charter for Access to Research Infrastructures”. The full access policy will be published later, but is based on the open access principles of OtaNano:
- The access to OtaNano is open for academic researchers and industry professionals in need of facilities for research or product development in the domains of micro and nanotechnology. The access is equally open for national and international parties.
- All the users share an equal right to reserve and use the tools. A quota of 50% of daytime hours is reserved to the owners of the infrastructure if necessary. Certain tools are accessible only through service.
- An internal scientific advisory panel supports the facility managers with scientific peer-review of the candidates when necessary. The panel is appointed by the OtaNano Steering Board.
- The current rates and for certain tools the pricing principles of the instruments are shown on the webpage of the infrastructure www.otanano.fi/en/prices/.
- The prerequisite for the access is the facility introduction training. The training is organized either regularly or on a need-to-have –basis. The operation of the tools require operators’ licenses, which are granted on a similar basis. The training may be chargeable.
- Access to certain areas of the infrastructure requires an agreement between Aalto University and the organization sending the user. In these cases also a personal user commitment or a visitor contract with the individual user is needed.
- The access to the infrastructure is facilitated by the user support provided in a form of permanent staff of the RI (senior and staff scientists and engineers and technicians) and through equipment dedicated main users (more experienced users of the RI). The user support is subject to charges.